Re: C3000 with Firmware 5.0, sym0: still hangs

Hello!

Latest update:
Because RC3 didn't work (sym0: hangs) I used a very old set of CDs (2002), but
the IDE CDROM is not detected properly, so installing packages fails.

Yesterday I got hold of a RC2 CD and gave this one a try (It was used already
once by someone else to setup a C3X00 system).

I had a kernel panic when booting the installed system for the first time
(I think the reason again was a problem with the sym* SCSI driver) but when booting
the system a second time (by error) it went fine and now the system
is up and running.

So if I have some time I will try to install alternative kernels
(and initrd files) to start testing newer kernels (or run the RC3 kernel
with some of the 'failsafe' and 'debug' options for the sym* driver).

I installed vncserver (and fvwm) yesterday but on the client (vncviewer on
an WinXP box) I only see some garbage in the client window
 (you can roughly guess where the windows are but moving them around works and
  using them - e.g. issuing a ls command in an xterm - also seems to work).
I might still be  missing the correct fonts, vncserver first didn't work because 'fixed'
fonts were missing, so I finally installed xfonts-base to get rid of that problem.
(looks like there is at least one dependency missing from the vncserver package).
My next plan is to install the X windows system and to make X or vncserver work (as far as I remember I
anyway need the X include files to recompile vncserver).

Erik