Re: /boot

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 08:55:41AM -0500, Harry Cochran wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 1:12AM -0500, Grant Grundler wrote:
> >I'm expecting palo to blow everything on f0 away and build a new
> >ext2 file system. THen you can:
> >o mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> >o copy /boot/* /mnt
> >o edit /etc/fstab so /dev/sda1 is mounted on /boot.
>
> Done. And it boots 2.6.8-2-32-smp!

Great!

> >If that boots, then:
> >o unmount /boot
>
> No ... umount /boot or umount -f /boot comes back with:
> "device is busy"

Did you do a "cd /boot", by any chance?  If so, you need to go out of
/boot before you can unmount it.

> Is there a problem leaving the redundant /boot on sda3?

No.  In fact, you need it -- it's the mount point.  The "redundant"
/boot (on sda3) would ideally be empty, but do not delete the contents
of the mounted /boot (on sda1)!  If there's anything inside /boot on
sda3, you simply won't see it while sda1 is mounted there, which could
be confusing, but shouldn't cause any harm.
--
Stuart Brady