Re: PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO Section 8, Draft 1, 2.4 -> 2.6

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 08:47:17PM -0500, Harry Cochran wrote:
> Okay. Now I learned something else about parisc-linuxers ... add comments at
> the bottom. Who knew?

And a smarter mail handler that knows how to quote! :^)

> So, here's question 1: Why did you say:
>
> > Partition Start(MB) End(MB) Id Type
> > 1               1      31   f0 Palo
> > 2              32    1008   82 swap
> > 3            1009   17366   83 ext2
>
> "This is an invalid partition scheme."
>
> Is it just that the f0 partition is too small?
> Can one not have a swap partition this big?

No and No.
The ext2 partition must be /.
And it is 17GB.
ie. /boot and /boot contents are not guaranteed to be within
the first 2GB of disk blocks. See the HOWTO-Boot/Install.
Folks have pointed at it more than a few times.

> and here's question number 2: Why do none of the examples I've seen
> show --format-as=2 being used in palo.conf

Because the feature was added *after* the documentation was written.
No one has submitted patches to fix/update the documentation.
[ HINT HINT :^) ]

> and can you please show me a complete example
> (recommended partition layout for an 18GB hard drive
> on a machine with 2GB of memory and a palo.conf that
> goes along with it)?

I did post one for a 73GB disk:
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2005-February/025935.html

Adjust partitions 3 and 4 accordingly.
part3 is /
part4 is /home

I suggest at least 4-6GB for /
then /var or /home for the rest depending on the use of the machine.
e.g size for /var/www or /var/cvs for a "server" vs /home
for a shared development machine where /usr/src is a symlink
to /home/src.

Key thing is part1 (type f0) is /boot

> I can't
> look at palo -? right now because I just blew my partitions away so I can
> re-partition and try it all one more time. Sorry.

np.

grant