Re: wrong kernel...

Meuleman wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying some to install Debian Linux 2.6.8 hppa Sarge on a HP 9000/C110 PA-Risc machine. I 've downloaded the iso-files and wrote them to a CD-R, which worked perfectly. I managed to go through the complete installation procedure without to many concerns.
Unfortunately the machine hangs during booting; last message on the screen is "HP SDC MLC: Registering the system Domain Controller's HIL MLC"

I found some info on the Net about this problem, and the solution would be to install another kernel from the CD (kernel-image-2.6.8 instead of ...2.6.8-smp). Even the way to do it, is explained : using "chroot" and "dpkg", sometimes "apt-get" commands after entering the Shell in the debian installer.
Unfortunately : dpkg, apt, chroot, aptitude and dselect  are "not found" ("/bin/sh: dpkg: not found").
iirc the first step should be to chroot to your sda disk (the rest dpkg, apt-get should be installed on this one)
did you mount the right disk: iirc sda (iirc the scsi id 5 for linux)?
did you look for chroot on your cd?
may be should you try to give the full path: /usr/sbin/chroot

Is there a way to force the Debian Install to choose the kernel I want (the one without -smp) ? Or is there another way to go ?

obviously ;-)
may be grab a recent netinstall cd (e.g. <http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/hppa/current/>)
in the hope you find easiestly your chroot to install your new kernel?

Hth,
   Joel