Re: Tulip PHY problems on c200 [WAS: tulip module...a500]

David H. Barr wrote:

On 10/13/05, David H. Barr <dhbarr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/12/05, Grant Grundler <grundler@parisc-linux.org> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:31:27PM -0500, David H. Barr wrote:
It -is- worth noting that the addin NIC won't come up off a hard
boot.  I have to hardboot, login over ttyS0, and issue a soft
reboot.
This is weird too. Which firmware version does this C200 have?
The parisc-linux FAQ explains where to find newer revs.
Will make a firmware upgrade tomorrow's first job.  If I brick one of
my machines, I can always work on the other one.  Thanks for pointing out
what should have been obvious... I never thought to check the firmware.

(c) built-in NIC should work fine.  No idea what's going on here.
  I'm not aware of any code changes that might break this.

[...]

THE QUESTIONS:

Do I need to get HPUX working on this machine in order to perform a
successful firmare upgrade?  If not, any clues as to where I went
wrong?

mmm recently I did such kind of fw upgrade on my d380 running only linux (debian or ubuntu) without any pb. That said effectively I extracted this 'patch' on a hpux system so that tools like sum, cc, uudecode, ... give results this auto-extract expect ;-) (so just find a system running hpux to extract stuff would be helpfull)

I have also seen some vague references to upgrading firmware via
CD, but no definite instructions as to WHAT should be burned, or how;
I'm leaving the BOOTP lifimage option for a last resort.

Any reason why "dd if=CC2X0063.frm of=/dev/sdb" followed by a boot
from secondary SCSI would be contraindicated once my sum issue
is resolved?

no clue, sorry ;-)

Can anyone provide a known-good md5sum for CC2X0063.frm under debian?

Well I grab the patch of your interest and extract it on a hpux (without pb ;-) and compute this requested md5sum:
# md5sum CC2X0063.frm
7ec22db29ecc3f0f1963bbeecb36e1ab  CC2X0063.frm

hopefully the same on my debian:
$ md5sum CC2X0063.frm
7ec22db29ecc3f0f1963bbeecb36e1ab  CC2X0063.frm

;-)

That said I grab those 2 extracted file in a tar.gz, if you have some url where can I push it anonymously?

(or by email privately (to avoid m-l overload ;-))

hth,
   Joel