Re: Booting problem
On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 06:56:16PM -0400, Gabriel Avila wrote:
> I managed to install everything perfectly but now when i start the
> initial bootup the system hangs after this line:
> HP SDC MLC: registering the Sytem Domain Controller's HIL MLC.
> after this line it symply stops the booting process. I did gave it time
> (5hrs) so just in case it needed some time to finish the process but to
> no avail. Any Ideas are very welcome.
IIUC, the kernel that's used in the installer is a uniprocessor kernel,
but I think an SMP kernel is installed. I don't know what the bug is,
or whether it has been fixed in later kernels. However, you might be
able to work around it. From memory, it's something like this:
* Run the installer again. Answer questions until the initial question
about partitioning the disk drive. _Don't_ answer that question.
* Instead, press Alt-F2 and Enter. You should now get a shell.
* Now do "mkdir /tmpmnt", followed by something like
"mount /dev/scsi/discs/discN/partM /tmpmnt" where N and M are the disc
and partion numbers for your root device. (Although I'm not quite
sure whether I've remembered that correctly.
* Run "chroot /tmpmnt", and mount any other important partitions. If
you have a /boot partition, you'll need to mount that. You also need
to mount /proc.
* Run "apt-get remove kernel-image-2.6.8-2-32-smp" to remove the SMP
kernel image, followed by "apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-2-32"
to install the uniprocessor image.
* Unmount the filesystems. Provided that I've not missed anything,
booting might work.
I hope I've not made any mistakes. There may be a much better way of
doing this, but it worked for me. You might still have this problem:
That seems to be fixed in later kernel images, though.