Re: -ffunction-sections and profiling

> OK, 2.0 works, trying different values of --stub-group-size moved the
> linking problem elsewhere, but never seems to eliminate it.  I would
> have preferred the most portable binary.  I still don't see why

The 3.3 branch is dead, so there is no point in back porting the
fix.

> -ffunction-sections makes profiling impossible.  I suppose I could try

I'm not sure either.  It might have something to do with the labels
emitted for profiling support and the .section directives used for
function sections.  It's been this way since function sections were
introduced:

Mon Apr 15 03:43:11 1996  Jeffrey A. Law  <law@cygnus.com>

        * flags.h (flag_function_sections): Declare.
	* toplev.c (flag_function_sections): Define.
	(compile_file): Add warnings when -ffunction-sections is
	used with -g, or profiling.  Disable -ffunction-sections
	when profiling is used.  Add warning when -ffunction-sections

Possibly, the issue should be revisited.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)