Re: XWindow not working on HP 715/50

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 03:30:24PM -0600, soofi@ucalgary.ca wrote:
> I have recently installed Debian on a HPPA Apollo 715/50 workstation.
>  The X server is not working, however, the text mode seems to be OK.

Is this *really* text mode?  Or does this draw pixels on the screen? :

   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/fb0 count=200 &> /dev/null

>  Below, I have included the contents of files
> XFree86.0.log and XFree86.8.log.

Can you send /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to the list, please?

Also, we need the output of:

   cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes

   cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/bits_per_pixel

> Is it related to some limitation of the Debian system for HPPA
>  hardware or I have not installed the Debian system properly or is it
>  a bug?.  If it is a bug, how can I find the package responsible for
>  error.

That's impossible to answer until we know why it isn't working.

BTW, the stifb driver can't change the screen resolution, so what you
have in /etc/XF86Config-4 has to match the current resolution (which
you can change from the PDC "BOOT_ADMIN" prompt).  (FWIW, it should be
possible to fix the driver.)
--
Stuart Brady