Sarge on J5000 workstation report

Hi there,

I'm rather new to the hppa linux scene, so please forgive me if I overlook
anything in my notes below.  Of course, thanks to everyone that works on the
hppa port - things generally went very well.

I've just obtained some J5000s, and decided to try to install Debian on them.

Here's what I found:

The woody cd doesnt boot at all on these for me (palo doesn't load, etc).

The sarge full cd kernel DOES boot, but then panics (invalid write errors)
regarding the initrd. (Media and iso seem good.)

The sarge netinst cd does boot and installed correctly for me.

The 2.4 SMP kernel that is installed automatically by d-i off the sarge rc2 cd
does not work properly on the J5000 - boots, but shortly after mounting the
initrd, the system crashes with a Runway bus error).  I managed to work
around this by disabling CPU1 in the firmware, booting, then apt-getting
kernel 2.6.8-2-32-smp.    This kernel seems stable so far, apart from two
minor things:
 1) The message:

  Freeing unused kernel memory: Badness in smp_call_function at
   arch/parisc/kernel/smp.c:342
  Backtrace:
   [<1011963c>] smp_call_function+0x408/0x410
   [<101088dc>] flush_data_cache+0x24/0x40
   [<10107a38>] free_initmem+0x78/0x38c
   [<10103d30>] init+0x304/0x410
   [<10110c5c>] ret_from_kernel_thread+0x1c/0x24

  This doesn't seem to affect normal operation, however, but I thought I'd
  report it.

 2)  Rebooting the system, or powering it off doesn't succeed always. It sits
  with a message on the fb console, saying "Please power off this system".
  Occasionally, it does restart correctly, however.

The sticon video support ONLY works on the EG graphics card if you have
selected the 1024x768 mode from the HP firmware beforehand - the default
1280x1024 (I think) sticon mode means the linux display output is purple,
screwed up, and pushed over to the left, and therefore unusable.

The 2.6.8-2-32-smp kernel doesn't boot properly on the FX6 graphics card based
systems - even with video=sticon on the kernel command line, it appears to
freeze shortly after saying "sym1: No NVRAM". I may try to debug further via
the serial console to see if it really does hang, or just that the sticon
output ceases at that point. Is there any way to make these FX6 cards work
properly in console mode? I don't care about X.

I'm also having two minor issues with the FWSCSI drives.

1) Performance didn't seem too good.  dd'ing from one drive to another (9.1GB
10K RPM drives) took 1699 seconds according to time, with dd reporting a rate
of 5355740 bytes/sec.  Is that normal? I was itching for a 'hdparm -d1'
equivalent for scsi!

2) I can hotswap in a new drive, using scsiadd -a, and it's detected, and
mountable fine.  Using scsiadd -r, I can 'remove' it, but once it's
physically removed and reinserted in the same slot, scsiadd -a doesn't 'see'
it any more. If I put it in a different unused slot, and scsiadd -a it, it's
then detected fine. So, it seems I cannot use a hotswap bay more than once!

Sorry for the long email, but I thought I'd mention all my issues in one go.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the results of my install, but a couple of
the above issues I'd love to be able to resolve.

If there is any additional debug information/steps/testing you'd like me to
do, please ask. I currently have 5 J5000s, so am in a position to play with
them a bit!

Cheers,

David