modprobing fbset module?

Hi List!

I installed the net-installer on my PA-RISC machine. Everything went well and then apt-got lot of s/w including xserver, kde, xfce etc. The kernel is 2.4.21. When I configure X (ver. 4.3), and try to startx, I get the following error.

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
(EE) No devices detected.

I googled and learnt that this error comes when the kernel doesn't have fb built into it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now, can I compile fbset module separately and modprobe it into the kernel? Or do I need to recompile the kernel with fb support? My graphics card is FX/4.

Can hardware stereo be used on PA-RISC machines under linux?

Thanks in advance for any help/hints.

--
:-)
Ramesh K. Sistla

	May the wicked become good, may the good attain peace
May the peaceful be freed from bonds, may the freed set others free
                                -- Rig Veda