Re: PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO Section 8, Draft 1, 2.4 -> 2.6

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:46:46PM -0500, Harry Cochran wrote:
> >I suggest at least 4-6GB for /
> If / is 6GB how can /boot be graranteed to be within the first 2GB of disk
> blocks?

Sorry - this is assuming the f0 partition is mounted as /boot.

> >then /var or /home for the rest depending on the use of the machine.
>
> I have a 2nd 18BG drive for /var
>
> >Key thing is part1 (type f0) is /boot
>
> I feel like I'm going around in circles. Seems like you are saying /boot is
> in "part3 is /" in your example and it's also part1.

No. / is sda3 (type 82). /boot is sda1 (type f0).

> Does --format-as=2 make part1 /boot?

Not automatically. It is just a necessary step.

> If so, why does it matter if / is 6GB or 17GB?

It doesn't for my setup. The size of / is just a reccomendation.

> Finally, in your example, why do you use --update-partitioned=/dev/sda
> instead of --init-partitioned=/dev/sda?

Because I ran --init-partitioned manually before.

> Thanks for your patience with newbie's. I think you can sense how hard I'm
> trying to understand.

*nod*

grant