From: Thibaut VARENE [mailto:T-Bone@parisc-linux.org]
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:32 PM
To: Harry Cochran
Cc: Grant Grundler; Kyle McMartin; debian-hppa@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: 2.4 -> 2.6

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:17:26 -0500
"Harry Cochran" <h.cochran@comcast.net> wrote:

> Dear Grant, Kyle and Thibaut:
>
> 	Thank you all very much! I now have a running 2.6.8-2-32-smp on my
> 	J6000. I
> repartitioned sda to have the root right next to the f0 partition (and
> the swap at the end) per Grant, modified /etc/mkinitrd/modules per Kyle
> and added Kyle's patch to mkinitrd just for luck, rebooted and
> everything just worked. sda did not become sdb. I will write this up to
> point out the pitfalls newbies like me can hit, but I'm afraid I'm out
> of time to figure out if, for instance, it works without Kyle's mods.

If you wanna send patch for the PA-RISC/Linux Boot HOWTO, I'd certainly
look at them :)

Glad you got it to work

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/

8. Upgrading from a Debian hppa 2.4 Kernel to a 2.6 kernel

8.1 Check your 2.4 partition scheme
8.2 First Steps
8.3 Edit /etc/palo.conf
8.4 Before you reboot
8.5 Conclusion

8.1 Check your 2.4 partition scheme

It may come as a surprise, but it is possible (I know, I did it) to have a partition scheme that by some fluke "works" under 2.4 but is invalid and will not work under 2.6. For example:

> palo ipl 1.5 root@c3k Tue Sep 21 15:14:05 MDT 2004
>
> Partition Start(MB) End(MB) Id Type
> 1               1      31   f0 Palo
> 2              32    1008   82 swap
> 3            1009   17366   83 ext2  root

The problem here is that the large swap partition pushes /boot under the root out past the 2GB limit for booting. There is no ready cure for this. You will have to save your data, re-partition your hard drive and then reload your applications and data. The example in 4.3:

Disk /dev/sda: 133 heads, 62 sectors, 1017 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8246 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1         4     16461   f0  Linux/PA-RISC boot
/dev/sda2             5        34    123690   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3   *        35       277   1001889   83  Linux

is fine, because the small swap partition doesn't push root out too far. It's a better idea, however, to put the swap partition at the end of the disk. By the way, don't forget to make both the f0 partition and the root partition bootable.

8.2 First steps

I'm the conservative type, so I don't load from "testing". At the time of this writing, the 2.6 kernels in "unstable" are 2.6.8-2-32, 2.6.8-2-32-smp, 2.6.8-2-64 and 2.6.8-2-64-smp. Even though the PA-Risc cpu's in my machine are 64 bit, hppa Debian can't take advantage of the 64 bit instruction length, so I just stick with the 32 bit versions. So, now it is to begin to install a 2.6 kernel.

Step 1 For example, apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.7-2-32-smp. When you get near the end of the install, you will get messages telling you that this is an initrd kernel and asking you if you want to abort. At this point say, "Yes". Now it's time for:

Step 2  you need to add "sym53c8xx" to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. "modules" is created from /etc/mkinitrd/modules-new? Help, I don't remember the name the aborted load leaves behind.

This is how it looks after editing:

% cat /etc/mkinitrd/modules-new??
# /etc/mkinitrd/modules: Kernel modules to load for initrd.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules and their arguments
# (if any) that are needed to mount the root file system, one per line.
# Comments begin with a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
#
# You must run mkinitrd(8) to effect this change.
#
# Examples:
#
#  ext2
#  wd io=0x300

tulip
sym53c8xx

Okay. Now we are ready for:
Step 3 apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.7-2-32-smp again, but this time when asked if you want to abort, say, "No".

8.3 Edit /etc/palo.conf

Edit /etc/palo.conf and insert on the --commandline initrd=x/boot/initrd.img where x is the number of the disk partition where /boot lives. Here's an example of a palo.conf that works:

--commandline=3/boot/vmlinux initrd=3/boot/initrd.img HOME=/ root=/dev/sda3
--recoverykernel=/boot/vmlinux.old
--init-partitioned=/dev/sda

Then run palo!

8.4 Before you reboot

On some machines installing the 2.6 kernel flips the names of your hard drives (if you have more than one). For example, sda might become sdb with sbd becoming sda. If this happens, you will get an error on reboot that you can fix by going into ipl and changing, for example root=/dev/sda3 to root=/dev/sdb3. Help, since I didn't see this happen, I'm not sure ... also, I don't know if something needs to be done with init-partitioned

8.5 Conclusion

Now you are ready to reboot. With luck, 2.6.8-2 will come right up. If you get:

cannot open root device "sda3" or unknownblock(2.0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs or unknown-block(2.0)

Reboot and, in the example above change sda to sdb Help, not sure