Re: [parisc-linux] NIC & "searching for devices"

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:16:52 -0500
"Harry Cochran" <h.cochran@comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks Thibaut,
>
> 	However, I have been unable to upgrade to 2.6. The image in
> 	unstable,
> 2.6.8-2-32-smp requires initrd. Fair enough, but nothing I have tried
> works. I get tripped up on the root= statement (I have sent mail on
> this). I've been searching for days now for a simple cookbook on
> upgrading from 2.4 to 2.6 and I can't find one. If you could please
> point me to a document that goes through the process of upgrading from
> 2.4 to 2.6, I would really appreciate it.

I don't understand your problem. apt-get install
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-32-smp should work out of the box.

the root issue is just a matter of having your root device name that has
changed. look in the kernel output while booting, you'll see where your HD
lives.

For instance, on a machine of mine, /dev/sda became /dev/sdb.

HTH

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/