Re: xfree86 warning

Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:

Hi,
When I first logon I get a message telling me the version of xf86 has
inherant probs and I should change to an older version.  Is this
possible using apt?
Thanks
GS.

obviously ;-)

man apt-get says in the install section:
[...]
"install
install is followed by one or more packages desired for instal- lation. Each package is a package name, not a fully qualified filename (for instance, in a Debian GNU/Linux system, libc6 would be the argument provided, not libc6_1.9.6-2.deb) All pack- ages required by the package(s) specified for installation will also be retrieved and installed. The /etc/apt/sources.list file is used to locate the desired packages. If a hyphen is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be removed if it is installed. Similarly a plus sign can be used to designate a package to install. These latter features may be used to override decisions made by apt-get's
             conflict resolution system.

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by following the package name with an equals and the version of the package to select. This will cause that version to be locat- ed and selected for install. Alternatively a specific distribu- tion can be selected by following the package name with a slash and the version of the distribution or the Archive name (stable,
             testing, unstable).

Both of the version selection mechanisms can downgrade packages
             and must be used with care.

Finally, the apt_preferences(5) mechanism allows you to create
             an alternative installation policy for individual packages.
[...]

hth,
   Joel