framebuffer broken on 712 using kernel >> 2.6.4

Hello,

Perhaps the parisc-linux mailing list would be a better place for this, but I'm
not a kernel hacker and thus do not subscribe...

Since 2.6.5 the framebuffer on my 712 no longer works correctly, if I enable any
of the Tux Penguin logos in my kernel.  In fact, among 2.6 kernels, 2.6.4 was
the only time it worked properly.

I'll describe what I saw in both cases:

1) 2.6.4

The PA-RISC Tux appears. Everything within the lines it occupies is a clean
pitch black. Bootup messages start right below the penguin and scroll down from
that point on. The penguin remains unaffected for as long as nothing affects
framebuffer operation (until I run "fonty" to put ISO-8859-1 fonts on console).

2) all 2.6.x since 2.6.5

The PA-RISC Tux appears. Everything within the lines it occupies is a clean
pitch black. Bootup messages start on the last line of the penguin, overlaping
its legs.  Messages up to "Gecko-style soft power switch enabled." scroll on
below.  Messages following that appear on the feet of the penguin again and are
all printed there, without scrolling down.  Once the "INIT: version 2.86"
message appears at that location, things magically resume a few lines below the
powerswitch kernel message, starting with the "Setting disc parameters: done."
message and scroll down, eventually making the penguin scroll off-screen.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/