RE: Graphics mode on my C3000 - still no joy - more info

Hello Harry,

> Here is the output of dmesg and the XFree86.0.log ... sorry for the Windows
> cr's ... but then you probably figured out that I am a Linux newbie a long
> time ago ... trying hard to make the switch :-).

no pb ;)

> Also Joel, I got hopeful when I saw your "is your screen is well connected
> to your eg/pci card?" comment because I had the eg/pci connected to the
> screen through a kvm. I connected the screen directly to the eg/pci through
> the evc to vga adapter, but unfortunately nothing changed.

Anyway good progress (but I never paly with two gfx a buildin and an additional
so I don't know how pdc behave in this case sorry)

> I did CS11:~# ls -la /dev/fb0 and got
> crw-rw----    1 root     video     29,   0 Jun 26 20:47 /dev/fb0
>
> Thanks again for all of your help!! I hope one of you can see something
> obvious in dmesg or XFree86.0.log.

You
> >put in the root password and it goes through the process pretty quickly.
> By
> >watching it several times I was able to see two things:
> >
> >1. "Unable to open/locate file //XF86Config.new
> >	error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
> >
> >2. Fatal Screen Error:
> >	No Screens Found
> >

> You would certainly find more in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> >By the way, I also tried changing the monitor to type 5 (1024x768) and
> >changing the mode to 1024x768 in the Display SubSection. This made no
> >difference.
> >

> Stupid question (i know but that's something like this we miss :) ): is
> your screen is well connected to your eg/pci card?
>
> Again, please help us to help you more accurately (your dmesg and
> XFree86.0.log would be helpfull)
>
> Joel
>
> > Or, Helge, is that better to use another fb (eg fb1) ?
>
> No, you should cat /proc/fb which should give you "0 stifb".
> So, /dev/fb0 is your device.
> And, /dev/fb0 should look like:
> pa64:~# ls -la /dev/fb0
> crw-rw----    1 root     video     29,   0 Jun 27 22:02 /dev/fb0
>
> > Please send us your dmesg and /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> Yes, please.
>
> Helge

I will check.

Thanks a lot,
    Joel

NEW: Tiscali ADSL LIGHT, 28,95 EUR/mois, c'est le moment de faire le pas!
http://reg.tiscali.be/default.asp?lg=fr