Re: install--sarge

mxdog wrote:

hi guys:

again i write in frustration..i finally found a install will work on my hp 9000 K460..it is sarge testing net only iso....but now im trying to set up raids with my 24 disks...and having zero luck. been trying 2 weeks .. i cant figure out how to mount all my necassary points and set up my arrays...the partition  manager for this install is slow ......and not very intuitive...the old one from deb stable was a lot easier to set up drives and..dindt have to wait 5 mins to scan all drives after making a change.. ( im not real happy with part manager i can do better faster with the old one but the installer with the net install doesnt read the partions correctly, so i cant bounce from woody to a sarge install) is worthless with the net install as its written), ok here is what im trying to do. ( sorry for the bitch ..but im 8 hours setting up the arrays and  didnt work, 5-10 mins a scan)

1: set up a raid 1-with 2-2.1 gig hard drives sda and sdb
/palo  60 mb
/boot 200mb
/swap 1.8 GB
umm so it's useless to mentionned: <http://parisc-linux.org/faq/index.html#bootraid1> :)

I run also a N system with 4Gb of ram (but linux could only used 2Gb) and just a small swap slice is enough (256Mb iirc)

I have 2 gig of memory so can load all if needed.

2: set up a raid 5, 6-9.1 gig hard drives sdc to sdh
/(root) 54gb ...less over head
Just a stupid question: what is the name of your md?
Let us assume that's /dev/md5, do you well mentioned to your kernel (with root=/dev/md5 in palo cmd) that your root fs is this one?

Sorry I didn't reach to install a raid5 (don't have supported fc scsi interface to do so :( ), so I couldn't actually help you more.

hth,
   Joel