Re: atlas3 on hppa: unexpected reloc type

Greetings!

Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 12:28:31PM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Are there any substantive ISA extension instruction sets available on
> > a subset of hppa machines which might warrant a separate build,
> > i.e. as in the sse and sse2 builds on i386?
>
> We had a quick discussion about this at GCC Summit.  There are various
> "multimedia instructions" available on PA-RISC, but we don't think
> GCC has been taught how to emit them.  There's a 40,000 foot overview at
> http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechDocumentDetailPage_IDX/1,1701,959!13!244,00.html
> with some more detail
> http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechDocumentDetailPage_IDX/1,1701,959!46!244,00.html
>
> These instructions are only architected for PA 2.0 processors, but the
> PA7300LC also implements them.  The PA7100LC does not appear to.
>
> GCC probably doesn't know anything about saturated arithmetic, so at
> least that feature would require hand-written assembler.  I know you're
> a dedicated fellow, but I think even you would balk at such a task ;-)

:-) Indeed.  Yes I was not proposing an endeavor to create such a
facility, just to package one that might already exist, in this case
certainly through a flag passed to gcc.  Most of the subarchitecture
builds can only substantively benefit from isa extensions that 1)
implement memory prefetch and 2) vectorize floating point
operations.  The only two exceptions are the 1) ev5 build for alpha
and 2) the v9 build for sparc, the latter of which is the only
subbuild implemented via gcc flags (as opposed to various forms of
assembler in atlas proper).  The 'vectorizing' subbuilds are 1)
altivec for ppc, and 2) 3dnow, sse, and sse2 for i386.

Take care,