Re: Support for 2.4.x kernels on hppa

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Randolph Chung wrote:

> So, the question is, how many of you run parisc-linux on 2.4
> "production" systems and "cannot" switch to 2.6?

I'm running a 715/100XC and 2.4.25-pa1, which has been running rock solid
now for 56 days. It's my own personal SMTP/POP/IMAP server, file server,
print server, name server, webmail... basically all sorts of little
oddball services that make my life at home a little easier. I also have a
few friends using it, which is the only reason I'd call it anything near
production (but I figured you'd be interested in comments from home users
too). I haven't upgraded to 2.6 because (a) I have very little time at
home to twiddle with things like this these days, and (b) I'm taking the
view of "it's running happily so there's no need for me to change". I
think I'll probably upgrade the box around Christmas or so. Alternatively
I may be able to lay my hands on a D370 (as mentioned in passing) which
I'll probably use to clone my 715 onto and upgrade that to 2.6.

I've also got a J200 I keep meaning to upgrade. So many toys, so little
time... :-/ That machine also generates enough heat that I usually only
run that in the winter, as the heat output from my little server room goes
into the heat exchanger - 45 minutes of that and the disk array running
and the furnace switches off!

Cheers, Steve