Re: Installing on RP5430...PALO problem

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:13:22AM +0100, James Morris wrote:
> Thanks to all on the list I have gotten a lot further, I managed to get a
> palo partition and the setup completed without any errors, cd ejected and
> rebooted, I chose the partition and everything started booting then stopped,
> I realised the root partition was not in the first 2gb (Got that from the
> list emails).

Slight misunderstanding: only the "boot" partition needs to be <2GB on
the disk. The root/swap/etc has no restrictions if you have a seperate /boot.
/boot can be the palo partition since James Bottomley added some ext2
hackery (spare out the boot loader blocks) to palo. I haven't set any
of my boxes up this way yet but will on future installs.

> Restarted from scratch, and did it right, managed the install ok, set the
> boot partition in gsp, rebooted and got a login.
> Fantastic.

excellent.

> Now that it is up and running, \I am going to configure the attached 2
> hp2100 disk arrays as LVM, install samba and have hopefully an excellent
> fileserver.

I've consistently been advised to avoid LVM and use mdadm instead.
Maybe LVM fits your needs better.

> Everyone who replied to the 2 emails I sent to the list.......Thanks.......
> :-))))))

welcome (on behalf of others too)
grant