Re: Woody won't boot after kernel update

Hello Grant,

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 21:19, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Everytime I access the rtc, e.g. give a date command like
> >
> > date -s "04/30/04 21:00"
> >
> > the systems locks up. So I think it's a problem in the kernel part for
> > accessing the rtc.
>
> I agree. Can you tell me (again) which system/firmware/kernel versions
> you have?

My PDC Rom version is 1.3
My IODC Rom version is 1.1
I'm running kernel Linux debian 2.4.26-pa1 #1 Fri Apr 23 12:38:16 MDT
2004 parisc unknown

> I don't think the kernel "genrtc" driver is broken since I regularly
> use it on other (newer) platforms. I'm thinking it might be a bug
> in the firmware and wonder if there is an upgrade possible.

I have some new information. When I looked in the PDC menu I asked for
the time and I received an error message saying the date and time are
invalid. That's true because I replaced an empty battery. After that it
looks like my problems are gone. I recreated /dev/rtc and set the date.
Now it seems to run fine. I even rebooted and after the system came up
the correct time was displayed in the gdm window.

So for now, I guess there is a small problem in genrtc or PDC rom that
occurs when the rtc contains an invalid date and time. Maybe you can
look at it, but it doesn't seem urgent to me.

Kind regards,
Roland Leurs