user question: graphics/tty mode access

hi all,

I need hints for buying a monitor for parisc boxes.

i have several parisc boxes with both hpux (10.20,11,11i) and linux (2.4.x).
(712/100, 715/100, C360, C3600). I use them all in console mode (ttyS0).
Never even made mind about attaching a monitor directly (most time using X).
Additionally I have different fx-PCI cards around for plugging into the C360
and C3600 boxes.
I connected my LCD flatscreen (LG 575LE) to the vga socket tried to sync the
parisc boxes. But no luck - the monitor couldn't sync and stood grayed.
Now i look around to find a nice 19'' flatpanel (for parisc and i386 boxes).

-->> Do you have any do/do-not hints for me. Aim is to get a monitor that
     syncs and displays the signals from parisc-boxes (and my vanilla i386-pc too)

What's the technical aspect behind this problem? I'd like to get the point.
(I read something about 'sync on green')

Additionally i have two 360C boxes _without_ RAM around I don't need. They may
have small (4gig) scsi discs. Other hp hardware (fx-cards) too.
I like to donate them. Any good place in the web to pin them on a board?

Many thanks,
Klaus