Re: Getting a smp kernel on my J6000

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 03:17:30PM -0400, Harry Cochran wrote:
> Selected kernel: /boot/vmlinux from partition 1
> Warning: kernel name doesn't end with 32 or 64 -- Guessing...
> This box can boot either 32 or 64-bit kernels...Only see a 32-bit kernel,
> using that ELF32 executable
>
> Could someone please tell me tell me why palo has this "32 or 64" check
> which keeps you from runnning a kernel that ends in smp?

It doesn't. It sounds like the "/boot/vmlinux" palo is looking
at has nothing to do with the "/boot/vmlinux" on your root disk.
Ie you have a seperate "/boot" F0-type partition and palo should really
be looking for "vmlinux" or just give palo the full name of the
kernel (eg vmlinux-2.5-25-pa1-smp). You can test this by
saying "Y" to the "Interact with IPL (y/n/c)" question.

> Can I just rename
> the new kernel to end in 64, modify the symlink and boot the smp kernel?

The kernel can be named anything. The 32/64 suffix is just a hint
which mode (narrow vs wide) to use if there is a choice (eg install media).

grant