Re: Unable to get PALO to install on A180 Debian install

Hello Harry,

Harry Cochran wrote:

Hi,

	I'm sure it's something simple, but I' stuck, sorry. I am installing Debian
off of the official cd (the same thing happens installing from ftp site
using the cd I burned with Nero as a starting point); I get all the way
through the install to "Make the system bootable" and then it comes back and
says "Unable to install Palo, you may still be able to remote boot by
pointing at the installed system ..." (or something like that).

Don't you forget to create a 'palo' slice ('F0 Linux/PA-RISC boot' as type in cfdisk) at the begining of your boot disk?
(it is required to put there palo :)

Be sure also that your boot slice (either a dedicated slice or your root fs containing /boot) stand below the 2Gb limit (I not quiet sure that palo would work if this condition is not respected).

To verify you can reboot with your install cd and choose to access a shell (near the end of the install menu iirc) then run 'cfdisk /dev/sda' (or fdisk /dev/sda and type p to print teh partition table).

That say, I don't think that 'parted' is available on the cd so you would unfortunately have to re-install your debian from scrach and taking care of previous conditions.

When I
reboot and go into BOOT_ADMIN and enter boot and then yes to the ipl
question, it comes back and says "SOFT Booted" and then hangs (never gets to
ipl). If I restart the machine and go through the same proceedure it says
"HARD Booted" and then hangs. If I just let it try to auto boot it does the
same thing (obviously).

That make sens as there are certainly an hpux installed before which try to boot it but don't find any more!

If anyone can tell me how to get out of this catch
22, I would appreciate it. I'm planning to use the A180 as a Proxy Server.
umm a so powerfull system for a simple proxy ?)

hth,
   Joel