Re: [parisc-linux] glibc update is broken in testing?

Hello Grant,

[...]
Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec rm for cleanup: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess rm cleanup returned error exit status 2
Could not exec dpkg!
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/install: line 105: /usr/bin/dpkg: No such file or directory

installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press <enter> to continue.

dselect (subprocess): unable to run installation script process `/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/install': No such file or directory

installation script returned error exit status 2.
Press <enter> to continue.

ion:~#
My unstable c110 runs fine with:
$ dpkg -l libc6
ii  libc6          2.3.2.ds1-12   GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone

and a kernel 2.6.6-rc3-pa3 (+work around for zalon & 53c720).

But I encounter the similar pb with my chroot disk on which I installed libc6 2.3.3 (to test Carlos patches) over which dpkg try to install 2.3.2.ds1-12 libc. As it was a chroot disk, I just have to re-install testing libc6 2.3.3 and it solved the pb. I trusted at this moment that it was due to the fact that dpkg was trying to install a old version over a new and didn't investigate more :( (more over all other systems didn't encounter any pb with this update), though.

Unfortunately at this stage you are not even able to do a ls without errors or even uname to check the runing kernel?
But the only pb that i remember of kernel requirement was when we updated libc from 2.2 to 2.3. I think so that it is much more a pb with libc dpkg but I have no idea :(.

The only way I see for the moment for you to recover an operational system (and may be investigate further) would be to boot with a cd (it would be required anyway) and either re-install libc6 2.3.2.ds1-11 on your system disk or awating a better idea?

hth anyway,
	Joel