Re: [parisc-linux] Support for 2.4.x kernels on hppa

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 05:47:31PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Just make it clear in the release notes and let the compile fail on
> > 2.4 with an #error, IMHO. Does that sound too lazy ?-)
>
> Yes.  It's a runtime issue and nobody seems to read the release notes.

In other words, the next Debian release based on gcc 3.5 or later
will require a 2.6 parisc kernel?

If that's the case, we are looking several years out and I personally
don't see a problem with it. Folks can continue to run "sarge"
for a long time after that if they are happy with it.

Gentoo folks will have to "pin" the compiler rev if they want
to use 2.4 kernels.

I trust we don't have to worry about HPUX, HP-RT, or MPE and
issues with gcc/java? :^)

thanks,
grant