Re: Woody won't boot after kernel update

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 04:14:12PM +0200, Roland Leurs wrote:
> My PDC Rom version is 1.3
> My IODC Rom version is 1.1

"model" was in the archive: Apollo 715/50

This system firmware can only be upgraded by replacing the chip.
I'm not sure this is a firmware problem but perhaps some
other 715/50 owners could share which firmware they are using.

BTW, there is a FAQ (which I wrote) for firmware updates.

> I have some new information. When I looked in the PDC menu I asked for
> the time and I received an error message saying the date and time are
> invalid. That's true because I replaced an empty battery. After that it
> looks like my problems are gone. I recreated /dev/rtc and set the date.
> Now it seems to run fine. I even rebooted and after the system came up
> the correct time was displayed in the gdm window.

excellent.

> So for now, I guess there is a small problem in genrtc or PDC rom that
> occurs when the rtc contains an invalid date and time. Maybe you can
> look at it, but it doesn't seem urgent to me.

The interface to the firmware is documented.
If you (or anyone) has ideas on how to make that more robust,
I'm open to patches. I'm inclined to blame the firmware
and not genrtc until someone shows me a patch where it
could be different.

thanks,
grant