gcc-3.3 bugs Debian unstable hppa

Greetings!  Here is the approximate status of gcl/maxima/acl2/axiom
vis a vis gcc compiler optimizations:

Base switches required: -fPIC -ffunction-sections

       -O0    -O1  -O2
gcl    PASS  PASS  PASS
maxima PASS  PASS  FAIL
acl2   PASS  FAIL
axiom        PASS

The acl2 failure at -O1 was intermittently reproducible:  some test
runs with the same executable would pass, some would fail in precisely
the same place, failing to find a / character when searching through a
directory string.

We're about to finalize the stable 2.6.2 gcl release.  Any
recommendations on what the default flags should be?  I'm thinking
there are few enough users that would care about the performance hit
that -O0 by default for all programs might be best.

BTW, is it worth filing a bug against gcc, or are people already
actively working on the hppa backend anyway?  I'm a bit short on time,
so a very detailed report by me is probably not feasible right now.

Take care,