Re: booting cd on a snake

on 10/10/03 5:39 AM, Grant Grundler at grundler@parisc-linux.org wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I grabbed the palinux-2.4.22-pa9-20030924-netinst.iso and burned the iso
>> on a disk (I tried it from two different programs).
>
> Which programs? Which options?
> We should probably add a "how-to burn CDs on Windows" link to
> the FAQ at www.parisc-linux.org and/or debian/ports/hppa page.
Well, I burned them under macos-x, since there is my burner. I used once
Apple's utility (Disk Copy) and just burned the iso. The second attempt was
to use Toast. It has no apparent parameters when burning from an iso. I
verified the disk through coparison ant it was said ok. With the previous
version of Toast I burned iso's for the most various architectures and
distirbutions (from sparc to PPC and whatever) and never had problems. Can
there be particulars problems?
I could try attaching my old SCSI burner to OpenBSD/sparc and try from there
using cdrtools, never did that, but if you think the problem is there...

Ah obviously I checked MD5 and it matches, so I would exclude having d/l the
image in the wrong mode or such.

> We use PALO as boot loader.
> Older firmware might say "ISL" when listing boot devices.
Yes, that is what I get when I insert the hp-ux cd in the drive.

I suppose gentoo uses the same method as yours to boot (only their ISL file
is in the root and not in a directory) and I can't get their CD to boot
either.

>> Any 7x0 users out there? experiences?
>
> I'd first establish the CDs are properly burned from the ISOs.

I wish I had a newer hpppa box around to try the cd's...

Regards,
    Riccardo