Re: Re: Squid 2.5.4 hangs when creating cache directories

Hi there Peter-

I just got an HP B2000 workstation, which was hanging at the point of
creating the cache spool directory (no log files, or directories
created).  Ctrl-C would abort, so it wasn't really a system hang.  I was
having problems with the deb packages squid-2.4.5-2, which I removed
before compiling.  It's a freshly installed unstable debian box with a
2.4.22-64 kernel out of the box.

It was recommended to me to get the source and compile a copy of squid
on the box.  That fixed the problem and after a few sym-links and a copy
of the /etc/init.d/squid startup script from the deb package, its now
running from /usr/local/squid and starts on boot.  squid -z worked fine!

Here's how:

apt-get update;
apt-get source squid
Check /usr/src

(make sure you've got deb-src fields in your /etc/apt/apt.conf file, and
the relevant compilers etc)

Hope this helps somehow.

Regards,

Nick Nulty