Problem installing base system on C180

I'm installing 2.4.22 (one CD) on a C180 workstation.  It hangs when installing the base system.

The message is either:
Retrieving
file:/instmnt/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.5-6_hppa.deb

or sometimes

Retrieving
file:/instmnt/pool/main/d/dpkg/dpkg_1.9.20_hppa.deb

I configured cfdisk with boot, swap, and Linux partitions.

At first, I tried to make the boot and Linux partitions bootable.  The "PA-RISC Linux Boot HOWTO" guide suggests this in chapter 4.3.3.  However, this produces an error message: "More than one primary partition is marked bootable.  DOS MBR cannot boot this.".  Therefore, I just made the boot (f0) partition bootable.

I have tried rebooting multiple times.  I have cleaned dust off of the CD.  I have also tried doing a bad block scan on the Linux partition.  No luck.

Any ideas?

 - Chris Koknat