From: Grant Grundler [mailto:grundler@parisc-linux.org]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 8:40 AM
To: Jaime Ash
Cc: Debian-Hppa@Lists. Debian. Org
Subject: Re: Help configuring an HIL mouse on an HP 715.

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 01:56:36PM -0700, Jaime Ash wrote:
> But, I don't understand how this happened, since I upgraded my
> system from the released version for PA-RISC Debian 3.0

The Debian 3.0r0 install ISOs were "cut" nearly a year ago.
In our case, the older (2.4.17) kernel was used because it was known
to be sufficient to install. We haven't done any developement
on 2.4.17 and thus there is no "upgrade" candidate.

Install a newer kernel-image-<version> (eg 2.4.20) package to get
a newer kernel. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a debian 2.4.20
hppa kernel package...I'm told one exists but hasn't been
officially uploaded. I hope Bdale (package maintainer) has
time in the next couple of days to do that (Thanks Bdale! ;^)

grant

--- Begin Message ---
Jaime Ash wrote:
> So, what kernel do you recommend I use?  Also, could you give me a pointer
> to a webpage that has detailed instructions for replacing my kernel with
the
> new one?
> Thanks again!  Best regards,
> Jaime

I had the same problem. I'm not a Debian, nor an hppa expert, but here is
what
worked for me:

After a standard installation of Woody 3.0, I did upgraded the kernel using
a debian package ("kernel-image-2.4.19-32_22.2_hppa.deb), from a debian
mirror
(found in the directory "pool/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.19-hppa").

I downloaded it, then I installed it using the 'dpkg' command. I remember
that
the first time I tried, there was a dependency problem and I had to add
another
package from the CD (don't remember which one).

After a reboot, the system started and I had a working mouse with 'gpm' and
'X',
using the configuration tips found in the links you mentioned.

--
Damien