Re: buildd please build ghc6

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 06:33:45PM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > ghc6 (6.2-1) failed to build because haddock 0.6 was not available. From
> > http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=haddock it looks like this has
> > now been built OK, so please can you retry ghc6 with it?
>
> has anyone ported haskell to ia64/hppa?

Yup, e.g.

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/ghc6/ghc6_6.0.1-10_hppa.deb
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/ghc6/ghc6_6.0.1-10_ia64.deb

If you're familiar with ghc porting (especially if you are knowledgeable
about GHC and HPPA and have a bit of time and motivation!) then you may
be interested to know that, of those two arches, only IA64 supports
registerised builds (a registerised build is about 25% faster at
building GHC and, IIRC, produces Haskell code that runs about twice as
fast).

If anyone /is/ interested in getting registerised builds working on HPPA
(or another arch),
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/building/sec-porting-ghc.html
is probably the best place to start, and I'm sure you'll be able to find
help on the mailing lists (http://haskell.org/mailman/listinfo; either
cvs-ghc or glasgow-haskell-users is probably most suitable) if you run
into problems.

You may be misremembering as nhc98, another Haskell compiler, currently
doesn't build on 64-bit machines; see bugs 184693 and 142049 for more
details. Again, if anyone has the time and motivation to work on this
that would be great.

Thanks
Ian