Re: Serial Ports do not communicate, on a B132L with a 2.4.22-pa12 kernel

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:43:27PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Dino version 2.1 found at 0xfff80000
> > The GSCtoPCI (Dino hrev 1) bus converter found may exhibit
> > data corruption.  See Service Note Numbers: A4190A-01, A4191A-01.
> > Systems shipped after Aug 20, 1997 will not exhibit this problem.
> > Models affected: C180, C160, C160L, B160L, and B132L workstations.
> >
> > Dino: No PCI devices enabled.
>
> Umm.. you might want to get that checked out with your HP rep.

I'm skeptical HP will be able to upgrade the box at this point
if it's one of the affected ones.

The best way to avoid the problems associated with old dino
is to download newer firmware. Newer firmware will not let the
affected boxes boot if they are exposed to the problem *AND*
have a PCI card installed.

> Instead, Dino's serial port is at 8/0/192 which seems wrong, I normally
> see it at 8/0/3 (if attached) or 8/63 (if not).

Older/Newer firmeware might report this differently.

> I'm wondering about your firmware at this point.  Can you take a look at
> ftp://us-ffs.external.hp.com/firmware_patches/hp/cpu/PF_CB1X0061.txt
> which tells you how to upgrade your firmware to 6.1 (the latest).
> I'd be interested in knowing what your current firmware rev is too
> (those instructions tell you how to find your current revision).

yeah - me too.

> Note that you can boot the firmware from the LAN or a CD-ROM, you don't
> need to create a tape.

Or dd the firmware update to a scratch disk and boot from that.

hth,
grant