Re: booting cd on a snake

Le vendredi, 10 oct 2003, à 10:03 Europe/Paris, Riccardo Mottola a écrit :

on 10/10/03 5:39 AM, Grant Grundler at grundler@parisc-linux.org wrote:

Hello,

I grabbed the palinux-2.4.22-pa9-20030924-netinst.iso and burned the iso
on a disk (I tried it from two different programs).

Which programs? Which options?
We should probably add a "how-to burn CDs on Windows" link to
the FAQ at www.parisc-linux.org and/or debian/ports/hppa page.
Well, I burned them under macos-x, since there is my burner. I used once Apple's utility (Disk Copy) and just burned the iso. The second attempt was
to use Toast. It has no apparent parameters when burning from an iso. I
verified the disk through coparison ant it was said ok. With the previous
version of Toast I burned iso's for the most various architectures and
distirbutions (from sparc to PPC and whatever) and never had problems. Can
there be particulars problems?
I could try attaching my old SCSI burner to OpenBSD/sparc and try from there using cdrtools, never did that, but if you think the problem is there...

Ah obviously I checked MD5 and it matches, so I would exclude having d/l the
image in the wrong mode or such.

OK ISO burning problem eliminated (i do burn ISOs from macosX sometimes, no
problem).
FYI, if you want to use cdrtools from macosx you can, there's a port pkg of xcdroast (assuming you have XDarwin), and cdrtools builds on macosx anyway.

We use PALO as boot loader.
Older firmware might say "ISL" when listing boot devices.
Yes, that is what I get when I insert the hp-ux cd in the drive.

What CD drive are you using? AFAICR, 720 doesn't come with a CD drive...
Have you already been able to boot from CD with that particular drive?
Some CD devices aren't properly recognized from the boot admin interface.

I suppose gentoo uses the same method as yours to boot (only their ISL file
is in the root and not in a directory) and I can't get their CD to boot
either.

Any 7x0 users out there? experiences?

yes, it works (slowly), assuming you have a decent amount of RAM though.

BTW, a good starting point is:
http://pateam.esiee.fr/doc.html

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team