kernel building problems: low-latency and pre-emptive patches

Greetings,

Given how my HP712-60 is such a _SLOW_ machine, I thought I'd give a try to the
low-latency and pre-emptive patches.  They seem to apply fine, as shown below,
but fail to appear in the configuration menus where I would need to enable them.

Anybody can shed a light as to why that is and how would I make them appear?

Btw, this was using whatever kernel is currently in the parisc-linux CVS.

Thanks!

X8-----
<root@zarya:/usr/src/linux-2.4># make-kpkg --added-patches lowlatency,preempt
--config menuconfig --revision hp712.atarifs.1 kernel_image
test ! -f stamp-debian && test ! -f debian/official && \
      rm -rf ./debian && mkdir ./debian
test -f applied_patches && rm -f applied_patches
make: [stamp-debian] Error 1 (ignored)
for patch in /usr/src/kernel-patches/all//apply/lowlatency
/usr/src/kernel-patches/all//apply/preempt ; do            \
          if test -x  $patch; then                    \
              if $patch; then                         \
                  echo "Patch $patch processed fine"; \
          echo "$patch" >> applied_patches;   \
              else                                     \
                   echo "Patch $patch  failed.";      \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue";      \
           read ans;                           \
              fi;                                      \
  fi;                                          \
        done
Testing whether "Low-latency patch for the Linux kernel" patch for 2.4.22
applies (dry run):
"Low-latency patch for the Linux kernel" patch for 2.4.22 succeeded
Removing empty files after patching:
Done.
Patch /usr/src/kernel-patches/all//apply/lowlatency processed fine
START applying patch "Preemptible patch for the Linux kernel"
Testing whether "Preemptible patch for the Linux kernel" patch for 2.4.22
applies (dry run):
"Preemptible patch for the Linux kernel" patch for 2.4.22 succeeded
Removing empty files after patching:
Done.
END applying patch "Preemptible patch for the Linux kernel"
Patch /usr/src/kernel-patches/all//apply/preempt processed fine
echo done >  stamp-patch
X8-----

--
Martin-Éric Racine