Re: OT: PA-RISC info

On Aug 8 Grant Grundler wrote:

> "good info" for any architecture is a fairly broad request.

Yeah, I know. It's for a presentation and we need to be able to talk
for 40 minutes about an architecture of choice. Since me and a friend
recently started using parisc machines; got some C240s cheap off
another friend who regularly scores good deals with companies that rid
themselves of their old hardware, and since we're both into exotic
architectures, you get the idea... It's just a mix of the functional
(getting good grades) with some fun and personal interest (figuring
out a little more about these new machines we got).

Anyway, the parisc architecture is big enough to fill a 40 minute
speech with. Heck, another student managed to give a 20 minute
presentation on the playstation architecture. ;)

> Several sources for HPPA to start with:
> o HP marketing literature is best for an overview
> o http://devresource.hp.com/
> o http://docs.hp.com/
> o "PARISC Web Sites" in the www.parisc-linux.org navigation bar
> o "Tech Documentation" on www.parisc-linux.org
>
> And look for white papers on "PA-8000" or "PA 2.0".

Checked 'em out, but haven't had time yet to check 'em out in detail.
But some links look promising. Thanks.

> > I already know some of the basics, but I can't seem to find much
> > online that goes into the kind of detail I need.
>
> CPU?  Memory?  IO?

General overview. I know that there's a couple of versions of the
parisc architecture: 1.0 and 2.0 I know for sure, and then I thought
there was another one as well. I can probably find that in one of your
links though. Most stuff I found concerned itself with the 2.0 version
of parisc. I got a general idea of RISC vs CISC design principles, got
the general overview of the architecture with SFU, CPU, TLB, Cache and
Coprocessor components etc... But nothing realy into detail. I got
some numbers like the bitsize of the virtual memory system (48, 56 or
64) but I don't know why there are three bitsizes, nor where they are
used (I assume it depends on what machine you got, similar to 16, 32
and 64 bit Intel x86 machines). Well, I could go on, but you get the
idea.

So if you look at what I've got... Well, not much. Just the ultra
basics. But I'm sure I'll find more decent info on the sites you
pointed me to and the books suggested by others on this list both on
and off this list.

Thanks guys, I was expecting to be flamed because this was a hardware
related question on a distro maillist, but you been great.

--

Rial Juan                        <http://nighty.ulyssis.org>
                e-mail:                  nighty@ulyssis.org

        [Not to mention, butterfly would be flutterby. Ed.]