"No hard drives found" on HP-UX 712/60 (debian_3.0_r0_hppa)

I'm a regular linux user, and i'm vaguely aware of HP-UX, but i'm new to debian and i'd like to give it a try (i hear good things!).

i have an HP-UX 712/60 that i want to install debian (woody) on, b/c linux rox and deb seems to be the best way to get linux on it. I have a Seagate ST345X (4GB) SCSI hard drive and a SCSI Plextor 2x CD-ROM attached to the HP's on-board SCSI controller. The HP originally had a 2GB SCSI hard drive, but i removed it to preserve the HP-UX 10.0 OS. The new 4GB drive is detected, b/c i can see it at boot time from the admin menu, with 'sea'. This command lists both the hard drive and the cdrom. So i 'boot scsi.2.0' to boot off cdrom, and debian install starts cranking. w00t! i get to the point after keyboard config, and it says "no hard drives were detected blah blah blah". wtf? i scoured some debian boards on the net and found a few similar messages. the solutions were to try booting with "vanilla" (no idea what this would do) or "bf24" (which i guess boots the 2.4 kernel which i guess might support my 4GB drive? and why would 2.2 be the default kernel, and not 2.4?). is one of these right for my situation? i'd just try one of these to see if they would work, but i don't know how - how do i call the install w/these parameters? after i do 'boot scsi2.0', the install takes right off.

can anyone help?

- bill