Re: Problem installing MySQL-Server; dpkg not helpful

Michael Heller said:
> Is there anyway to get dpkg to be more specific?  It's failing, as you can
> see below, but offers no clues as to why.
>
> pux:~# apt-get -q install mysql-server
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
>   mysql-server
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/3549kB of archives. After unpacking 7852kB will be used.
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Selecting previously deselected package mysql-server.
> (Reading database ... 38613 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking mysql-server (from .../mysql-server_3.23.51-1woody5_hppa.deb) ...
> Setting up mysql-server (3.23.51-1woody5) ...
> Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  mysql-server
>
> Is there a log that I can see where exactly the post installation script
> died?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Yes that can be frustrating, can't it ...

The simple answer is no, there isn't a log of the {pre,post}{inst,rm}
scripts.  However you can run the scripts by hand to work out what's
gone wrong.

  sh -vx /var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server.postinst

When you find out where it's dying, you'll probably need to correct
something on the system by hand (e.g. create a directory manually or add
a user) that the script was expecting to be done for it already.

Then install reportbug so that you can submit a bug report against the
mysql-server package regarding the problem and your fix for it.  =)

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."