mouse locks after logging out of KDE, and does EISA slot work on 735/99?

First of all, just a brief foreword. Thank you to all those who have helped me out with a few of the problems I've been having so far. I am fairly new to linux so I'm a little slow at figuring out some of the problems I've had on my own.

Now, I have a couple of questions regarding the 735/99 and debian:

1) My 735 has an EISA slot (in the same pull out compartment as the power supply.) I was told that this might be some sort of proprietary hardware that is different than the EISA or ISA cards one would use on a pc or what not. Is this in fact true? Or should an ISA card from a pc (like a controller card, network card, video card, etc) work? It does at least appear to have the same connection as a standard ISA card and I was able to fit in a couple of old ISA cards I had laying around from various old pcs. If it is possible to get ISA cards working in this machine, are there any particular settings or what not that would have to be done? In particular I am thinking of putting an IDE controller card in so I can get some of my IDE hard disks working in the machine (SCSI disks are so expensive in comparison.) Any feedback on getting an ISA card working would be appreciated.

2) This may be a old issue, as I have seen some other discussion on it in the archives of this mailing list, but I'll bring it up anyways. Once I get kde or gnome running the mouse works fine. If I log out and try to log back in the mouse ceases to work and it seemingly requires a reboot of the system to get it working again. I've heard some people saying that there is no fix for this, and others saying that some have had success by changing various configuration and what not. I would appreciate it if anyone who is familiar with this issue could fill me in on the current situation and if there is a way to fix this.

Thank you in advance for your time.