Re: Debian menu for woody ?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 08:26:43AM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > I got a request (bug #169271) to push menu for hppa in woody.
> > Unfortunately, I have had very little succes on hppa even on sid,
> > and menu does not even build out of the box on hppa/woody. However
> > since I do not have root access on any hppa, box this is difficult
> > to test if menu fail because of an internal error or because of a
> > misconfiguration.
>
> you do not need root access to test menu. Just build and run it on paer,
> it will likely die immediately.

It is true, but if you try on a i386 box when menu is not installed it also
abort at startup, because it cannot find /etc/menu-method.

> > So I would ask you to test this package further and report if you have some
> > success.
> > More generally I would like your opinion about the request in #169271.
>
> The problem with menu is that c++ exceptions is not well-supported with
> g++-3.0. You might have better luck with g++-3.2... but that precludes
> it from going into woody.

I was expecting (trusting the reporter of #169271) that if no exception was
ever raised, menu would run correctly. To make that happen, you need to have
all the good files in the good places. This is easier if you can install
the package.

Anyway you confort my opinion that nothing can be done about #169271.

Cheers,
Bill.

--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>