Re: Preparing to install on HP9000 D330

Hello all,

I have recently installed debian-testing on a D330 via the network. I will
share my experience with you.

I you are going to use a serial console and you have a remote management /
access port card installed, take it out. It will cause you to to have to switch
ports from ttyS0 to ttyS1 after the kernel loads. You will see the cryptic
message:

>Branching to kernel entry point 0x00100000.  If this is the last
>message you see, you may need to switch your console.  This is
>a common symptom -- search the FAQ and mailing list at parisc-linux.org

and the output will stop.

But switching ports is not acceptable, because the output on ttyS1 i.s.
.v.e.r.y. .s.l.o.w. Remove the card and you will not have to switch your
console and all proceeds fine.

I haven't tried using a graphics card and the sti console on a D-class.

As for my boot setup, I used an i386 running Debian as a boot server. I setup
dhcp and tftp as follows:

/etc/dhcp.conf:
allow bootp;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
    option domain-name "my.net";
    server-name "server.my.net";
}

host d330 {
    hardware ethernet 08:00:09:B8:B8:68;
    filename "lifimage";
    fixed-address d330.my.net;
}

/etc/inetd.conf:
tftp dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /tftpboot

Plug in your ethernet address and you fixed-address in dhcpd.conf.

Get "lifimage" from
 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-hppa/current
and install it in /tftpboot.

Best of luck,