Did apt-upgrade, lost English in X applications

I did an apt-update, apt-upgrade on my 735/99 about an hour ago.  9pm EST
10/18/2002.
After that I updated my kernel sources. When I ran "make xconfig", the
buttons appeared to be labeled in greek. I was doing this using an ssh
session from another computer.

I decided to fire off an xdm session from the 735. I have little boxes
instead of characters in: fvwm2, dillo, gvim, gtkfind.

kde apps, xrn, editres seem ok.

It appears its fvwm2 , gtk apps, and openmotif apps that have this problem. I
guess TK apps have this problem as well.

Anybody have a cure?

Thanks,
Vlad