Re: Installer problem (resolved, sort of)

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Carlos O'Donell Jr. wrote:

> Try a simpler/different test case:
>
> - Use debootstrap with arch options to make a filesystem on server.
> - Build all the required drivers into the kernel.
> - Use the NFSROOT=x.x.x.x Option with no directory
> 	= This forces the server to mount the default directory
> 	  specified in './linux/fs/nfs/nfsroot.c'
> 	= Make sure the bootstrap filesystem is at this directory.
>
> Simpler or different? You be the judge ;)

This worked out to be the easiest option, with a few glitches that I
thought I'd share for postarity.

The debootstrap program neglects to make a (proper) fstab.  Without this,
the root fs is never remounted rw.

Also, for me at least, I needed to add "ip=bootp" to the kernel command
line.

When the box boots, you need to login as root (no password) and run
base-config.  The /etc/network/interfaces needs to be set up (don't know
if there is a script for this) as well as /etc/resolv.conf.  Something
somewhere (probably debootstrap) set up resolv.conf for me.  Nice!  The
system was then very well configured, and I set up /etc/apt/sources.list
and installed other useful packages (just cant live without vim :).  I
noticed no real delays in the system.

Perhaps someone who knows something about the installer boot-floppies
stuff could look at making an NFS install functional?

--
What excuses stand in your way?  How can you eliminate them?
		-- Roger von Oech