Re: Printing

> > lpd or lpr-ng?
>
> lpd from lpr-2000.05.07-4.2. And "apt-get install lpr-ng" says
> 	E: Couldn't find package lpr-ng
>
> > > May  2 20:27:34 hplinux lpd[2596]: restarted
> > > May  2 20:28:25 hplinux kernel: lp0: compatibility mode
> >
> > Looks lik ethe port is recognized.
>
> Yes, although I don't know what the "compatibility mode" is supposed
> to be.

I guess an inheritance from PC world where you can have compatibility,
bidirectionnal, ECP and ECC. Those are different flavours of parallel
conversation, stating in/out and so on.

A try you can made is to send stuff directly to /dev/lp0 (or /dev/lp1) and
see if the printer reacts. If it's a normal printer, just send text (ls
/ >/dev/lp0 should perform fine). If it's a postscript printer, send a .ps
file to it. Normally, it should start printing the stuff you sent.

BTW, does a lsmod show the lp modules or do you have them directly
compiled in the kernel ?

Jean-Francois
--
Jean-Francois Gobin - Administrateur gobinjf.be
http://www.gobinjf.be   mailto:gobin@gobinjf.be