Printing

Hi,

I am trying to get a 712/60 working as print server. I am not really
successful. The jobs only sit in the queue, and the printer does not
react at all. Is there anything special with HPPA/PARISC-Linux?

# lpq
lp is ready and printing
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
active root       0    (standard input)                      14820 bytes

# lpc up lp
lp:
	printing enabled
	daemon started

# lpc status lp
lp:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	1 entry in spool area
	lp is ready and printing

in /var/log/messages I find this:
May  2 20:27:34 hplinux lpd[2596]: restarted
May  2 20:28:25 hplinux kernel: lp0: compatibility mode

dmesg shows:
parport_init_chip: initialize bidirectional-mode.
parport0: PC-style at 0xf0102800, irq 88 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[...]
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

I have recently done a apt-get upgrade, so most packages should be
up-to-date. I even installed the Debian kernel-image-2.4.18-32
instead of my self-compiled 2.4.18-pa9, where it was not working,
either.

I also tried
# cat /etc/hosts > /dev/lp0

which resulted in the same "kernel: lp0: compatibility mode".

I have set up quite some printers under Linux before, but never with
a HP machine... Any ideas, anything I have to read?

	Peter.