Re: Request help on activating STI console on 715/80 with Kernel 2.4.9-32

Hi Doug,

Please use parisc-linux@parisc-linux.org for further questions about the
parisc kernel....

You should use the newest and most recent kernel from CVS (http://www.parisc-linux.org)

> Should or does hppa use a kernel framebuffer?

Yes, hppa will and can use the framebuffer (stifb) on quite some machines now.

> Can I use both graphics cards?

Never tested it myself, but I heard that someone had it working.
With the linux kernel boot parameter "sti=<x>" you may tell the palinux kernel
which of multiple found graphic cards he should use (0=first, 1=second, ...)
as default boot device.

> What does the "sti" in "sti_console" supposedly abbreviate? :-)

STI = Standard Text Interface.
It's a firmware interface to access the graphics device on parisc and it's some kind
of comparable to the PC BIOS int 0x10 interface.

> BTW, I have a HIL keyboard attached, which is an unfamiliar feeling kb
> for me, but it seems to work nevertheless. It has a spot where you can
> piggyback a mouse on it, which I have a HIL mouse here too.

HIL keyboards are supported, but we haven't any HIL mouse driver
yet. Currently I use myself  an old PC serial mouse instead.

> - Doug

Helge