strange terminal behaviour

I'm seeing some pretty weird behaviour with 2.4.9-pa10.

1. Logged in with ssh (from putty under Windows); various operations
   (notably ls /) gives lots of "Bad address" errors.

2. Logged in with telnet (from putty under Windows); top shows the
   first few lines, then the connection is lost. Similar behaviour
   when running "du" in a large directory tree.

3. Logged in with ssh (from putty under Windows); try to run top,
   claims terminal types xterm and vt100 are both unknown, although
   they're in /usr/share/terminfo alright.

4. Finally, run 'ps' and the machine has crashed.

This is on the 715/80, 256Mb RAM, 4Gb disk. I saw #1 and #4 on
a B132L+ also, with 2.4.0 as shipped on the 0.9.0 isos.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

I built some Debian packages earlier and it seemed stable enough
(built geda, and also started building postgresql; don't know if
that finished before I crashed it with ps).

Hamish