Re: floppies at Debian site OK?

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 08:45:46AM -0600, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've still got install troubles.
>
> On Friday morning, I arranged to have burned the lifimage from debian.org,

Most people netboot the lifimage, not 'burn' it.

> in the "woody" section.  I tried booting/installing with it, but it hung
> when the menu item for "partitioning discs" appeared.  I presume that this
> is some sort of menu software bug.  For the record, I had a valid IP and

Unikely to be a menu s/w bug, the installer works elsewhere.

> ether connection ready to complete the install process on the HP 715/75.
>
> Later, I noticed that the same site had what appeared to be boot floppies
> to start up the boot/install process.  Have any readers tried them
> with success?

Floppies are not supported on palinux yet.  The 'boot-floppies' source
is poorly named, it is used to produce floppies, network bootable images,
etc.  You did the right thing by booting the lifimage.

Can you tell us what version of lifimage you got?  Either give us the
directory you downloaded it from (something like 3.0.15-2001-10-18),
or note the version from the initial installer screen.  If you lifimage
is older than 3.0.15, you should try again with the latest, as it uses
a new scsi driver, which might help.

Richard