Re: CD boot failure

On Saturday 13 Oct 2001 8:14 am, Grant Grundler wrote:

> ISL (aka mongoose) is the *secondary* loader.
> It uses IODC (and some PDC calls) to load HPUX (or whatever).
>
> PDC/IODC is the primary loader.

Thats not what my HP-UX book says. It says ISL is the primary loader,
hpux ( or the thing that loads mpe ) is the secondary loader. PDC does not
seem to count. It possible the linux word and HP disagree on what is and isn't
a primary loader.

> AFIAK, hpux is an ISL built-in. The "HPUX" seen when doing lifls
> of an HPUX boot disk, is just the LIF partition name.

It's not. On a hpux system isl and hpux are totally different programs.
Both of which happen to exist in the lif area at the start of your disk.

At the IPL prompt 'hpux -is' loads the hpux utility and passes it '-is'. hpux
then loads the hpux kernel and passes it the '-is' option. The kernel passes
this option onto init in just the same way the linux kernel passes options to
init. The hpux utility can do other things, at the IPL prompt you can type
'hpux ls' to get a list of your /stand filesystem, the hpux utility has the
filesystem code to understand HFS built in. After it's done its list it exits
returning to ISL. The hpux utility likely also does some other things too.

I belive HP designed this system to be very modular. The hpux loader could
easily be changed for a mpe loader or just about any other loader.

From my point of view it's a shame linux breaks this system by replacing the
IPL and not adding another hpux loader replacement.

Stephen